My lovely blogland friends

Sunday 11 September 2016

Texture at Chocolate Baroque

Good morning folks, it's a bit like a bus stop here this morning as I haven't posted all week and now I've got 3 posts in one day lol. Over at Chocolate Baroque, our theme this month is texture and the DT are all showcasing some of their favourite stamps and sharing lots of techniques that you can use to create texture on your projects. For my second DT project I've altered a little gift box and used Key to my Dreams A5 Stamp Sheet.

I began with a coat of black gesso and once that dried I added lots of different die cuts from my stash. I wasn't fussy about the colours as once they were stuck down I gave them a coat of black gesso too. I created the lock and key for the front of the box by rolling out some paper clay and pressing the stamps into the clay. When you remove the stamp, the image is pressed into the clay creating lots of texture. I left this overnight to dry and then cut them out, painting them with black gesso.. The little frame is from the pound shop, again painted with black gesso


To create a kind of old metal with a little rust and patina I dabbed on various shades of paint. I used brown, orange, gold and copper, blending a little with a baby wipe. While the paint was wet I sprinkled in various embossing powders (copper, turquoise, gold and brown) and left it all to dry. Once it was dry I heated the embossing powder, I wasn't sure if this would work with the paint and it did bubble quite a bit but that just added to the effect. 
I stamped the sentiment onto a scrap of card that I'd used to mop up some of the paint and then assembled the box, adding a few highlights with gilding wax and a little black gesso to define the key hole.

I'm entering this project in the following challenges:

Altered Eclectics: Anything goes
A Vintage Journey: create within a frame
Sandee and Amelie's Steampunk Challenge: anything goes steampunk/industrial
WOW Embossing Powders: Anything goes with WOW powders

Thanks so much for visiting today, hope to see you again soon
Claire xx

11 comments:

  1. Some fun techniques here to get to the beautifully distressed, Vintage-ed and textured finish. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is an amazing piece of mixed media Claire! The colours that you've achieved are just stunning and it really does look like rusty metal. Thank you so much for the inspiration as I can't wait to have a go at something like this. Sandra :)x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! I love the texture and the colours. It's like something one would find under the sea or in a treasure cave. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeously textured and patinaed! Claire, this is beautiful, I really like the blues and rusts amidst all the treasures you chose to use! Thanks so much for joining us at SASPC! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a marvelous book cover you created with all your gessos and paints Claire ! - love the metallic look on your lock, key and framing of the perfect sentiment! Thanks so much for sharing how to - and for joining us in the AVJ Create within a frame challenge! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fabulous colours you've used - love the effect!

    Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous texture and love the colours, nice rusty feel to it. Thanks for sharing this with us at Crafty Cardmakers and good luck with the challenge, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome project! Thank you for joining our „Layer it up!“ challenge over at the Crafty Cardmakers ;o) Happy crafting,
    Maike

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Fabulous project! Claire Love the whole aged metallic look and the way you created your lock and key by stamping into paper clay. Wonderful idea. Such a lovely framed verse too . Thanks for sharing your gift box with us at A Vintage Journey . Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful and stunning box. Thank you for joining us Altered Eclectics this month. Judy DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely fantastic! I love how old it looks! And the texture and colours are just awesome!
    Thank you for joining in our challenge at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!

    Claudia xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to look at my blog, all your comments are really appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...